I am currently trialling vegan food and I am quite taken by the whole thing. For me there are a number of reasons why some one would choose to be a vegan.
Here are some of my thoughts:
- I personally am quite disturbed by the way food is being produced to satisfy human consumption. It seems so cruel to animals who are purely there to become our food.
- Another factor is the general public health. At the moment humans are so unhealthy and such a high percentage is over weight. What does the type of food we buy do to our health?
- I have never liked processed or take away food and have fought it hard. I have never taken my kids to MacDonalds and I am proud of it. They may have been there but not with me. My choice is not to support food like that and I feel that such fast food chains are to blame for many issues we have at the moment.
- Very interested in finding out if a plant based diet has a positive effect on my health.
- I like cooking and so far I have been stunned at the variety, taste and colours you can create by cooking with vegetables.
- In love with cheese and will miss but I also know that it is very high in fat and therefore not that good for me.
I like to showcase some of the vegan or vegetarian recipes I make and will make. Already now some people have told me that they are attracted to a vegan lifestyle but do not know how to cook. They think it needs too much time.
They may be right. It requires planning, organisation and searching for ideas. Having a fridge full of fruit and vegetables is not going to cut it. You need to prepare tasty dishes to have ready to go in your fridge. That takes a bit of time and planning.
In the end every thing needs preparation and planning. So this is not different. One of my motto’s is:
If it was easy, everybody would do it
Have a look at the things I make. To be honest most dishes are not that much different than how I cooked before. I have always been a home cook and was never keen on processed food.
Not everybody’s cup of tea but give it a go!
If you like to find out more about the big WHY about vegan, watch this documentary and see for your self.
As I said this is a trial and I am not sure whether I will maintain 100% vegan. It may be that the way I feel and think about food is going to dictate what I chose to eat in the long term.
To be continued….